Iran to give up enriched uranium stockpile, not to pursue a nuclear weapon: Details of a potential US-Iran peace deal

A file image of US Secretary of State Marco Rubio with President Donald Trump

Hours after the US President announced that an agreement with Iran is “largely negotiated,” potential details of a deal began to emerge.

The development came at the end of a week in which the US considered launching new attacks on the Islamic Republic, potentially breaking a fragile ceasefire.

Also Read |

US-Iran agreement ‘largely negotiated’: Trump

Earlier on Saturday, after he spoke to Gulf leaders and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Trump, in a Truth Social post, wrote, “He announced in a Truth Social post and wrote, “An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalisation between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed. Separately, I had a call with Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu of Israel, which, likewise, went very well. Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened.”

The did not reveal much regarding the details of the agreement. However, news agency AP reported that other officials counselled caution on Sunday, with Secretary of State Marco noting that “significant progress, although not final progress, has been made” in the negotiations. Rubio, who is on a four-day visit to India from May 23, said he hoped that there would be good news in the coming hours.

The US Secretary of State said that the negotiations have succeeded in one of Trump’s main aims, and added, “that is a world that no longer has to be in fear or worry about an Iranian nuclear weapon.”

Also Read |

Here’s what the potential deal could include:

1. According to two regional officials, the potential deal will include Iran’s commitment that it won’t pursue a nuclear weapon, and the Islamic Republic agreed to give up its stockpile of highly enriched .

One official, with direct knowledge of the negotiations, also stated that how Tehran will give up its highly enriched uranium will be a subject of further negotiations over the course of 60 days. The official added that it’s highly likely that a part of the amount will be diluted, while the remaining will be transferred to a third country, which could be .

According to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Iran possesses about 440.9 kilograms (972 pounds) of uranium enriched to 60 per cent purity, just below weapons-grade levels of 90 per cent used in nuclear weapons.

2. The will be gradually opened, along with Washington ending its blockade of Iran’s ports.

3. Washington will also let the Islamic Republic sell its oil via sanction waivers. Sanctions relief and release of Tehran’s frozen funds will be discussed during the 60-day time frame, an official said.

4. The draft deal also includes an end to the war between Israel and Hezbollah, as well as a commitment not to interfere in the domestic affairs of countries in the region.

Also Read |

Over three months have passed since the US and Israel attacked Iran in late February, killing top officials, including the Islamic Republic’s Supreme Leader, and interrupting nuclear talks between Washington and Tehran for the second time in less than a year. Tehran retaliated and fired at Tel Aviv and neighbours in the region hosting US forces, shaking Gulf countries that had long considered themselves safe havens in a volatile region.

A ceasefire has held since April 7. But Iran’s decision to effectively close the Strait of Hormuz for ships carrying regional oil, natural gas, and other critical supplies has been a focal point of global concern and economic pain.

Israel concerned over Hezbollah

Following an announcement by the US President, Israeli officials have expressed concerns that , the militant group in Lebanon allied with Iran, continues to be a serious threat to Tel Aviv and that Beirut is ill-equipped to disarm the group.

Prime Minister warned Trump that Israel “maintains freedom of action against threats in all arenas, including Lebanon,” according to an official familiar with the conversation.

Additionally, Trump has reportedly made it clear to the Israeli PM that he will not sign any final agreement without the conditions that Iran dismantle its entire nuclear program and remove all enriched uranium from the country.

A fragile US-brokered ceasefire has been in place in the Israel-Hezbollah conflict in Lebanon since April 17, following a war that began two days after the Iran conflict started.

However, hostilities have continued despite the agreement. Hezbollah continues to launch daily drones and projectiles toward Israeli forces and northern Israel, while Israel carries out strikes in Lebanon and maintains troop presence in large areas of southern Lebanon.

Source

Posted in US

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eleven + twelve =