Trump orders military to ‘substantially reduce’ joint exercises with South Korea. Here’s why

US President Donald Trump waves to the media as he walks from Marine One to his limousine upon his arrival at the Ellipse just outside of the White House, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026, in Washington.

US President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon on Sunday to scale back planned joint military exercises with South Korea, saying it declined to help denuclearise Iran. Trump also cited his good relationship with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un.

“…based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!,” Trump said in a post on TRUTH Social.

Also Read |

said in a social media post that the exercises slated to begin this week are not only costly but “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, which he said “has been unthreatening and respectful” during his time in the White House.

He wrote, “Based on my very good relationship with , of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea.”

“These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America (as usual!), but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a Country that, as long as Donald J. Trump has been President, has been unthreatening and respectful,” Trump said.

Also Read |

The US President added, “While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the and they said, “No thanks!” Thank you for your attention to this matter.”

Why does it matter?

The move is the latest example of Trump appearing to side against an ally in favour of a leader that previous administrations have cast as an adversary, the Associated Press reported.

Trump and others in his administration have also railed against allies over perceived lack of support for his war against Iran, even as they seek to confront an increasingly aggressive Russia in the Baltic region.

The 11 days of exercises involving 18,000 South Korean soldiers were designed to beef up readiness against North Korean threats.

Also Read |

The US military said, according to AP, that the summertime Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises reinforce “the role of the alliance as the linchpin for regional peace and security” and reaffirm “the ironclad commitment between the United States and the Republic of Korea to defend their homelands.”

US and South Korean forces were expected to practice joint operations in complex scenarios, including a live-fire exercise to test joint precision targeting and maneuver, a wet gap crossing, and distribution of prepositioned military equipment, according to the US military.

The joint training is set to start days after North Korea resumed ballistic missile testing activities that are banned by the UN.

Earlier this month, South Korea, the US and Japan detected the launch of a short-range ballistic missile from North Korea in what was the North’s first ballistic weapons testing activity since late June.

Also Read |

The missile landed in the waters off North Korea’s east coast. North Korea has been pushing hard to enlarge its nuclear and missile arsenals since Kim’s high-stakes diplomacy with Trump collapsed in 2019.

Experts say Kim likely believes a bigger weapons arsenal would increase his chances for wresting more concessions from the U.S. in future negotiations.

North Korea’s warning

On Friday, North Korea threatened unspecified stern steps against the US and South Korea, describing their military drills as a “a rehearsal for an aggressive war” that are triggering greater instability in the region.

The warning was typical of the harsh rhetoric that North Korea often deploys ahead of major US-South Korean military exercises.

Experts told AP that North Korea has often used its rivals’ drills as a pretext to ramp up testing activities to expand its weapons arsenals and promote public support for the reclusive North Korean leader.

Also Read |

Trump met with the North Korean leader three times during his first term to discuss the country’s nuclear program, most recently in 2019. Since returning to office, Trump has expressed interest in continuing those discussions.

Trump’s announcement came a day after he posted a photo of himself standing next to North Korea’s Kim, writing that the two leaders get along great “despite the unfriendly look on this particular picture.”

Source

Posted in US

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 + ten =